NIR absorption sensor for the measurement of cell
growth and biomass
The OUSAF11 sensor measures the VIS/NIR absorption of liquids.
- Cell growth in bacterial fermentation and applications in mammalian cell cultures
- Biomass in fermentation processes
- Monitoring of algae concentration
- Monitoring of crystallization processes
- Measurement of solids in:
- Increased product yield thanks to fast and reliable absorption measurement in fermentation and crystallization applications
- Highest linearity and wide measuring range with LED lamp
- Suitable for pharmaceutical use:
- Stainless steel 1.4435 (AISI 316L)
- Sealless sapphire window without gaps
- High degree of product safety:
- Sterilizable and autoclavable
- Cost-effective, time-efficient calibration with traceable plug-on filters
- For use in a wide range of applications:
- Variety of optical path lengths for different cell cultures and concentrations
- Process connection Pg 13.5 for installation in assemblies or head plates
- Suitable for lab-scale, pilot-scale and production-scale bioreactors
- Available in different lengths for different immersion depths
The measuring principle is based on the Lambert-Beer law.
There is a linear dependency between the absorption of light and the concentration of the absorbing
A = -logA m = ε . c . OPL
A ... absorption, A m ... absorption measured by detector
ε ... Extinction coefficient
c ... Concentration
OPL ... Optical path length
A light source emits radiation through the medium and the incident radiation is measured on the
The intensity of the light is determined by a photodiode and converted to a photocurrent.
The subsequent conversion to absorbance units (AU, OD) is performed in the associated transmitter.